The process of choosing the best personal injury attorney for your case can be a daunting task. For many people, a personal injury attorney may be the first attorney they have ever hired. If you are going through the search process right now, we are here to help guide you to the right attorney for you. Even if you need an attorney in a different field, we can help you get in touch with the one!
When it comes to choosing a personal injury attorney, you want to be sure that you are making the best decision for you and your case. Whoever you choose to be your personal injury lawyer, their skills and experience are going to dictate how your case ends up and the amount of compensation you will receive.
Before we jump in, one important thing to know about personal injury law is that the fees are going to largely be the same, whether you are working with an inexperienced attorney or a highly regarded attorney with lots of experience.
Without further ado, here are the 6 steps to choose the best personal injury lawyer for your case:
- Determine what you want in an attorney. First things first, you will need a personal injury attorney that is licensed to practice the law in your state or the state in which the claim has occurred. You should also look for a lawyer that has experience with your type of case. This is also the time for you to decide what your goals are for your case and what personality traits you are looking for in a lawyer. Do you want them to be accessible, responsive, trustworthy, or compassionate? Take some time to reflect before moving forward.
- Compile a list of attorneys. A quick google search will bring up hundreds of personal injury lawyers in your state. Spend some time collecting a list of attorneys that you are interested in, based on how they present themselves online. This is also a good time to ask your friends, family, and colleagues for referrals if they have any.
- Do your research. This step is vital to your decision-making process. Go through your list of lawyers one-by-one and look them up online. Review their website for legitimacy and read through their biography. Check out their education and accolades for reputable awards and designations. For example, are they a Super Lawyer? Super Lawyers only designates attorneys that have been reviewed by their legal peers and no more than 5% of the lawyers in each state are recognized.
- Call their offices. Once you have one or a few attorneys that pique your interest, call their office number. If you are unable to reach one by phone, send them a follow-up email asking for a phone call. Then, you can set up a time to meet with them to talk about your case and see how you two get along.
- Meet with your top attorneys. When you meet with your top lawyers—whether it is virtually or in-person—bring a list of questions and any important documents for your case. Take the time to discuss their fees and ensure they are being transparent with you about their process. Ultimately, you want to make sure you feel comfortable and trust this person to handle your personal injury claim.
- Choose the best attorney for your case. If you are using this process, you will know which attorney is the best one for your case. Follow your gut and choose the experienced attorney that you truly believe has your best interest and goals in mind.
For more than 75 years, Holzman & Associates, LLC has obtained substantial verdicts and settlements for injury victims throughout Maryland. Ask around about us! If you believe you are entitled to compensation, contact us at 410-539-4222 for your free consultation.