If you need a personal injury lawyer, it is important to find an attorney with the right characteristics to ensure you are properly compensated for your pain and suffering. Dealing with any lasting injuries or effects of an accident is difficult enough. An accomplished attorney should relieve your burden by having the legal expertise to hold the negligent party responsible. It may seem like an overwhelming task to select the right attorney for your case, so we have compiled a list of key qualities you should look for to help guide you in your personal injury lawyer search.
Here are the 5 qualities you should look for in a personal injury lawyer:
- Experienced. It is crucial to find a personal injury attorney who is experienced in the courtroom and one who will actually represent you throughout the trial. Some lawyers are more inclined to take the settlement than to fight for your case in court. Your legal representation should be ready and willing to litigate your case and have the experience to do so.When meeting with an attorney, you can also ask for a list of previously handled cases so you can research the outcomes, or have them provide their trial history so you can get a feel for their experience. Additionally, many personal injury cases may be settled before a verdict is reached, so it is important to know that the attorney you select has a track record of successful settlements should you decide to choose that route. Experience, whether it be in the courtroom or at the settlement table, is a key characteristic to look for.
- Knowledgeable. Before selecting a personal injury lawyer, research their background and experience litigating cases similar to yours. You want to ensure the attorney you choose has a deep understanding of the laws specific to your case. Whether you are a victim of a car accident, medical malpractice, or another type of incident, you want to find a lawyer who is an expert in that area. Research the firm’s website to see if they have attorneys with relevant experience. Testimonials from past clients are also a great way to learn more about the attorney’s areas of expertise.
- Communicative. For many, a personal injury case is your first and only time going through a trial. It can be a confusing and stressful time, which means clear and open communication is key. The attorney you select should be able to guide you throughout the process, making sure you are informed at every step. When interviewing attorneys, it is a good idea to ask who your point of contact will be. You want to make sure you have someone you can easily reach should you have a question. Establishing open communication will help you feel comfortable throughout the trial and allow your attorney to easily update you.
- Reputable. The reputation of your attorney can help you narrow down your options and find the one best-suited to represent you. Do your homework on those you are considering by asking for testimonials from past clients and by reading reviews. It may be a red flag if they are unable to provide testimonials from past clients. This is also an opportunity to see if they have successfully tried cases similar to yours. By researching their website, you can get a feel for which areas of law they specialize in. The more you can learn about their background and reputation, the more informed your decision will be.
- Trustworthy. Trust is important when finding and selecting an attorney. A personal injury trial can be a very difficult time in your life, and you need legal representation that will ease that burden, not add to it. The last thing you need to worry about is if your attorney has your back. An introductory conversation or free consultation is a great way to meet potential personal injury lawyers and help you establish trust. An attorney that shies away from difficult questions or seems dishonest is another major red flag. They should have the experience needed to answer your questions and a deep understanding of the laws related to your case.
We Focus on the Legal Details so You Can Recover
For more than 50 years, Holzman & Associates, LLC has obtained substantial verdicts and settlements for injury victims throughout Maryland. Ask around about us! Please call 410-539-4222 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our Baltimore office. We also meet with clients in their home or hospital room when necessary.
What To Expect With The Personal Injury Case Process
7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney